• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Husband's Income/Assets Counted?

• Thread starter shelley_riddle@
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shelley_riddle@

What is the name of your state? Colorado
Hi
I'm going to try to make this short and to the point-
I am currently paying child support for my twin sons. I want to get married, but if I do, then my husband-to-be's income and assets, do they become considered joint property and therefore counted as my income/assets as well, enabling the child support agency to count that in determining a new payment amount? I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask here...
Thank you in advance

VeronicaGia

Most states will not consider the income of a new spouse in child support unless the obligor is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed. Even then, the court will not order the new spouse to pay, the court will simply take the income into consideration. You would do well to keep all of your assets, bank accounts, etc., separate in case you get behind in support. Any joint accounts can be frozen or siezed for support arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">