• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bingham17

What is the name of your state? New York

This is sort of a pre-emptive legal question. My wife and I (adults) plan to attend a party for a family member that just graduated from high school. It appears that the parents of this high school graduate and hosts of the party are going to allow their son and his freinds to consumer alcohol at this party. My questions is: what am I legally laible for in the event that the party is visited by the police or worse, someone underaged is drunk (from this party) and drives and has a accident? We plan on purchasing no alcohol for the party or serving any alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. Thanking you in advance for your advice.

CdwJava

I am not sure of the criminal aspects of New York law, but from a civil standpoint, I can guarantee that any crash by anyone drinking at your party will get you sued ... especially if they were underage. And if anyone gets popped for being drunk, you can also become civilly liable - if not criminally.

If it were me, I would not be anywhere near a party where there are going to be drunk minors (under 21). And if there were anyone there under 18, then any adult present could find themselves criminally liable for any one of a number of violations should something happen.

It's your call. I wouldn't go ... but then, I tend to be pretty Puritanical.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">