• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical fraud and theft of identity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackell

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My ex lives in Ohio with my two daughters. recently i found out that anytime she takes them to a doctor or health care provider she tells them I am the responsable party and gives them my social security number without my permission. The decree specifically states that I am responsable for 28% if the medical bills (after insurance, which I pay for) and that I am to reemburse her for out of pocket expenses. Is she committing fraude my telling them I am the responsable party and is she committing theft of identity by giving them my social security number?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It is entirely possible that the doctor's office requires the name and SSN of the person who holds the insurance - and that's who they consider the responsible party. I've run into that any number of times. I think you're spinning your wheels on that one.

kat1963

Very serious charges, so you just can’t guess. IF they are billing YOU, send a certified letter w/a copy of the billing to the Dr.’s Office requesting a copy of form that *you* signed guaranteeing payment. You will also want a copy of the form the *you* signed authorizing services for a minor child. To be honest, many people don’t know the difference between guaranteeing payment or providing insurance so she signed you up for everything. (Note: not saying you Stealth or anything like that at all.) I had no idea either until a few years ago when Mr. KAT had a similiar situtation with his ex.
KAT

topsidder

Jackall,

What she is doing is WRONG! If your order states that YOU are to reimburse HER the 28%, she has no legal right to instruct the doctor to bill you. This is known as third party billing, and it is illegal w/o the third parties consent. Contact the Dr.'s office and kindly explain that third party billing is not exceptable to you.

Now, if your order says you are to pay 28% to the dr., they still cannot third party bill w/o your permission. So, basically, if your child(ren) go to the dr. and you will be expected to pay for 28% of out-of-pocket expenses, the ex must NOTIFY YOU FIRST.

DO NOT ALLOW THIRD PARTY BILLING. IF NOTHING ELSE, YOU CAN HOLD THE DR. LIABLE.

J

jackell

Just an update on my situation--- I contacted the collection agency who wanted no part of a dispute between parents. I then called the hospital which had the original charges. The billing person was extremely understanding and helpful. She stated that my x had apparently given my address as the same as my childrens, as if we all lived together. When the collection agency tried to contact me by phone at her house, they were told my "new" address was now three states away. All I had to do was fax a copy of the pages in the decree spelling out medical expense info and the hospital had no more problems with me. I then contacted the first of two doctors offices. Here again, the billing person was very understanding. Their records only showed my name and didn't even mention my x's as the the person who brought the children in. She basically bent over backwards to straighten things out with me. I am assuming that's because she realized the doctor could be held liable for this third party billing. My current wife, who works close to the medical field, agreed with Ms. Kat about the difference between guaranteeing payment and having the insurance. At any rate, the children have private policies under their own names---I just pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">