• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unreg. vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alexus

hello

i got a ticket (in New York state) for my car being unregistred, someone told me that NY police office may not issue me ticket since my car is registred in FL is that true?

Thanks in advance

CdwJava

We can do it here in CA ... I think they can do it there in NY.

If your vehicle is not legally registered, it does not belong on the public roads. And if you were living in NY then they can cite you for failing to register the vehicle there even IF you have VALID registration in FL.

Carl

A

alexus

i should refrase myself, 'cause i was unclear..

I received a traffic ticket in NY state where it states that my car is unregistred (which is true, i didn't noticed it expired), however someone i know told me that NY officer can not issue me a ticket for unregistred car, only officer in my own state (which is FL) can issue me a ticket for that.

is this true?

CdwJava

Not true. In every state I know of, if you drive an unregistered vehicle (even from another state) you can be cited for driving said unregistered vehicle. I believe every state has language requiring that a vehicle be lawfully registered ... somewhere. In CA we can definitely cite for expired registration from FL. I cannot imagine that it is any different in NY.

Carl

JETX

alexus said:
i got a ticket (in New York state) for my car being unregistred, someone told me that NY police office may not issue me ticket since my car is registred in FL is that true?
*** No. An officer can issue a citation for any violation witnessed in his jurisdiction, whether the vehicle is registered in that state or not. Including operating an unregistered vehicle if the registration is not current.... or you have moved without registering your vehicle in state.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

alexus said:
i should refrase myself, 'cause i was unclear..

I received a traffic ticket in NY state where it states that my car is unregistred (which is true, i didn't noticed it expired), however someone i know told me that NY officer can not issue me a ticket for unregistred car, only officer in my own state (which is FL) can issue me a ticket for that.

is this true?

I think you are mixing this up with equipment violations, i.e., if your tint was legal in FL, you cannot be held liable for it via a NY ticket (assuming you are a visitor not here for more than 30 consecutive days). However, this does not apply to registration, insurance, or anything else required in all 50 states (such as having a catalytic converter on the car).

A

alexus

You Are Guilty said:
I think you are mixing this up with equipment violations, i.e., if your tint was legal in FL, you cannot be held liable for it via a NY ticket (assuming you are a visitor not here for more than 30 consecutive days). However, this does not apply to registration, insurance, or anything else required in all 50 states (such as having a catalytic converter on the car).
you sayin if my tint is legal in fl and illegal in ny i can not be held liable for those tickets?

You Are Guilty

With a few caveats, yes, that's the case. Of course, aside from issues of proof, you'd still need to be a bona fide FL resident who was not in NY for more than 30 days in a row prior to the ticket being issued.

Are we to assume you got some tint tickets along with the unregistered vehicle one?

A

alexus

You Are Guilty said:
With a few caveats, yes, that's the case. Of course, aside from issues of proof, you'd still need to be a bona fide FL resident who was not in NY for more than 30 days in a row prior to the ticket being issued.

Are we to assume you got some tint tickets along with the unregistered vehicle one?
no.. i just asked out of curiosity.. haven't got any extra tickets rather then unregistred vehicle ..

A

alexus

oh btw.. well it most likely is my fault.. not even most likely.. its my fault for sure..

any tips on how to fight this ticket if its possible? or anything to lower fine and/or points

thanks

You Are Guilty

Plead not guilty by reason of insanity.

Actually, there is no foolproof "out". Your best bet would be to dress nicely (i.e. clean pants, no jeans, button down shirt, hide your "F- The Police" tattoo), show up at the PVB and as politely as possible explain that you inadvertantly let the registration lapse but corrected it immediately once you noticed; you're just a (insert one): poor student; poor new father; poor newcomer to this fine country; poor slob, and is there any way the fine could possibly be reduced.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's free to try.

A

alexus

hey..

thanks for the tips :)

although this is town court so and its kind of far.. so i'm going send them a letter with all that

thanks anyway :)

You Are Guilty

alexus said:
hey..

thanks for the tips :)

although this is town court so and its kind of far.. so i'm going send them a letter with all that

thanks anyway :)
Sorry - I saw Brooklyn and assumed it was here in the city. Those tiny upstate town courts are nightmares. Go in expecting nothing and you won't be disappointed. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">