• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving in wrong lane in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aireltx30

What is the name of your state? California
My husband is a truck driver and got a ticket for driving in the wrong lane in California but the police didn't tell him what the ticket would cost. Does anyone know where I can find out how much this will cost. Please let me know. :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

aireltx30 said:
What is the name of your state? California
My husband is a truck driver and got a ticket for driving in the wrong lane in California but the police didn't tell him what the ticket would cost. Does anyone know where I can find out how much this will cost. Please let me know. :confused:

My response:

On the ticket is a phone number for the court. The Clerk will answer. S/He has the answer. Also, the clerk will undoubtedly give you the "base" fine. Don't be fooled by that amount. In California, we have an "enhancement" fee of 171% plus $12.00 for Homeland Security.

So, an otherwise inexpensive fine, could wind up to be hundreds of dollars.

IAAL

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

By any chance was he driving in the mountains? This type of ticket is a infraction and typically will not have the fine on it. At the very least he is looking at 360.00 (base fine, as IAAL stated), and if he carries a CA DL, he is looking at one point. The vehical code he can look up is CA civ. code 21662. The fine can be hefty, especially if he was driving in the mountains.

Last edited:

CdwJava

He should be notified by mail within two or three weeks. Additionally, if he calls the court he can find out what to expect. There are often fees and assessments attacahed, so the fine amounts as shown in the vehicle code and elsewhere do not reflect the amount he may be assessed.

ANd as was stated, citations in CA do not typically have fine amounts on them. In fact, I do not know of any jurisdiction that lists the fines on citations other than parking tickets.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

--PARIDISE-- said:
By any chance was he driving in the mountains?

MY RESPONSE: The California Vehicle Code does not distinguish between mountain or flat land roads. Driving in the wrong lane on any type of road is an infraction.

This type of ticket is a infraction and typically will not have the fine on it.

MY RESPONSE: Really? An infraction of the Vehicle Code won't carry a fine? I think you better recheck your facts.

At the very least he is looking at 360.00 (base fine, as IAAL stated)

MY RESPONSE: Ah!! So, now you're saying there IS a fine involved. Which is it?

The vehical code he can look up is CA civ. code 21662.

MY RESPONSE: He's not going to find anything in the California Civil Code on this subject. It's Vehicle Code section 21662.

The fine can be hefty, especially if he was driving in the mountains.

MY RESPONSE: Again, mountains have nothing to do with it. And, after the "enhancements" the total fine is going to be a whopper!

IAAL

A

aireltx30

He was on a 6 lane freeway and did not see a sign saying which lanes he was to be in. He told the cop this and he was in rush hour traffic so he was keeping an eye on the traffic. This was his first time to travel to CA and didn't know the laws.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
--PARIDISE-- said:
By any chance was he driving in the mountains?

MY RESPONSE: The California Vehicle Code does not distinguish between mountain or flat land roads. Driving in the wrong lane on any type of road is an infraction.

This type of ticket is a infraction and typically will not have the fine on it.

MY RESPONSE: Really? An infraction of the Vehicle Code won't carry a fine? I think you better recheck your facts.

At the very least he is looking at 360.00 (base fine, as IAAL stated)

MY RESPONSE: Ah!! So, now you're saying there IS a fine involved. Which is it?

The vehical code he can look up is CA civ. code 21662.

MY RESPONSE: He's not going to find anything in the California Civil Code on this subject. It's Vehicle Code section 21662.

The fine can be hefty, especially if he was driving in the mountains.

MY RESPONSE: Again, mountains have nothing to do with it. And, after the "enhancements" the total fine is going to be a whopper!

IAAL

I said the ticket will not typically have the fine on it. I understand it is the same infraction, but the driver can be assessed more money if he was in the mountains. OK! Civil vs vehicle, my bad. I stated it could be hefty.

Shay-Pari'e

IAAL,

This has gotten stupid. My point about the mountains, is that a judge can assess the risk factor if he chooses. The poster clearly stated it was a 6 lane freeway, so it doesn't apply. I agreed with every single thing you stated, you read my post wrong, and now we have Tami jumping in thinking this is a play ground, and I won't entertain the nut.

Your right about everything ok?

I'm out.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Paridise, you can count my mistakes in these forums on one hand - - if any. However, for the sake of the original writer, it behooves you to clarify your statements of fact with legal authority, or to retract them.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

--PARIDISE-- said:
IAAL,

This has gotten stupid.

MY RESPONSE: No, it's not. I would imagine this point, if you can justify it, could be important to our writer's husband. I'm sure he doesn't just drive on San Fernando Valley freeways - - that there MIGHT be a mountain or two in his way when he drives through California.

My point about the mountains, is that a judge can assess the risk factor if he chooses.

MY RESPONSE: Really? You're saying that a Traffic Court judge has "discretion" to "assess the risk factor" even when there's no Vehicle Code section concerning mountain roads versus flat land roadways? Really?

The poster clearly stated it was a 6 lane freeway, so it doesn't apply.

MY RESPONSE: Sure it does. See my explanation above, and the fact that you stated it as a legal factual statement. I just want to know where I'm wrong.

I agreed with every single thing you stated, you read my post wrong,

MY RESPONSE: No, I didn't read your post wrong. Your sentence was grammatically incorrect. So, if I was wrong, it was because of the way you wrote it.

and now we have Tami jumping in thinking this is a play ground, and I won't entertain the nut.

MY RESPONSE: I couldn't care less about that, and neither should you.

Your right about everything ok?

MY RESPONSE: Well, it's about time you admitted that!!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">