• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bendi

What is the name of your state? NY
I was given a ticket on 3/4/2004 for failure to stop at a stop sign, which I believe was totally bogus, because I did stop, but that is not my question, since I don't think I have any chance of winning in court by saying 'Yes, I did stop.'

My court date was just set for 7/8/2004 and I thought I remembered something from junior high that you have to be summoned before the court within 90 days. Does this have any bearing?

Thank you

CdwJava

Different states havd different rules, but if there IS a 90 day rule (and that seems very odd) it might have to do with the time from citation to trial or something ... and since you were cited in March, you have had your 90 days. But I think that 90 days is all wet anyway ... I remember hearing in Jr. High that a cop had to ID himself if he was an undercover cop and you asked him if he was one.

Contest the cite on the merits, not on perceived rules that you do not know about. And there are plenty of books on the market that present (marginal) information as to how to contest a citation. Check with your major book stores and you may find something.

Carl

lwpat

Some states do have a "speedy trial" law but the time only starts once you make your first appearance and enter a plea. In addition it is usually for criminal violations and most states consider traffic offenses civil infractions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">