• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turn violation, pls advice (urgent). Thanks.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moccamachine

What is the name of your state? MA.

Hi, I have a situation with a ticket I got about couples of weeks ago. I was driving in Boston and as many of you might know, the road change all the time because of the BigDig project, etc. Anyway, I was not very familiar with the road and trying to get to a street that parallel to the one I was driving on. There are many small street that connect them. I saw many cars in front of me turn right into one street (one way in) and follow them since there is no sign say anything in front of the street. Anyway, turn out that the one way street (and this is one way in, so I was driving correctly) have no turn sign about 30ft. before you even reach the street itself (which I clearly did not see). There are about 3-4 cars in front of me at the traffic light and I saw cops (three of them actually) start walking toward my car and start giving me the ticket.

Now what upset me is two folds: 1) the sign say no right turn 8-10am is about 30 ft before the street and there is absolutely no sign whatsoever in front of the street it self. and 2) it was exactly 10am when I was looking at the clock in my car. The problem is that I didn't see the sign the first time so I didn't know that the time limit was from 8-10am (or else I would talk to the cop about this). So he wrote me the ticket and every cars in front of me. He wrote down 9:45am in my ticket which I noticed afterward. The fine is only $35 but my point will go up by 1 (I have clean driving record BTW, no tickets, nothing in the last 6 years). I was upset when I found out later that the sign is only for 8-10am and I decide to request a hearing. Do you have any advice how should I proceed with the hearing. The hearing is tomorrow (I just find this web site from my friend today :) Please advice.

Mocca

M

moccamachine

Update

Just an update. I went to the court and explain the improper location of the sign and I won :) Suffice to say that it seem everybody know the street very well and recognize that the sign should be placed in front of the street, and not 30' before it. It make me feel a little sad come to think of it that many other ppls that might not see that sign and will just pay the fine. City should definitely change the location of the sign or put another one in front of the street. I don't even have a chance to make that suggestion since everything went very quickly in the court room.

Mocca

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">