• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving in VA (but I might have a chance)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klipped

What is the name of your state?VA
I received a summons to appear in court for reckless driving in Virginia (Dulles Toll Rd 77/55 mph). The code cited was: 46.2-862

First of all, I have no speeding violations on my driving record nor have I ever been pulled over for speeding (I do, however, have a 'no left turn' violation) so my record appears to be dusty, if not clean. I am not a speeder and I hold a respectable job with the federal government (I realize character is not a real argument). I've read through all the previous posts on VA reckless driving and I've come to the conlcusion that I may be able to defend myself in court and at least get a reduced fine (hopefully speeding or something less).

--- I was driving early sunday morning (7am) to a soccer game. I was travelling in the 3rd lane out from the right and there was a black dodge pickup next to me (in the 2nd lane out) and a light brown sedan next to him (1st lane). The officer was on the right shoulder facing down the road. After we all passed, he got behind my car and I pulled over where he told me that he clocked me at 77/55. I told him I did not think I was speeding and that I did not know my exact speed. Since the black truck was overtaking me, I can only assume that he clocked the truck when it was speeding, but the truck slowed down and it appeared that I was overtaking the truck (because I saw the cop last and was in the outermost lane). My contention is that the truck was the speeder and the officer made a mistake in choosing the violator (most likely based on the fact that I was in the outer lane of the three cars). I did not admit to speeding when the officer questioned me, and I did not argue. I simply treated him with respect for enforcing the law in the manner he saw fit, and went on my way. I did not know at that time the seriousness of this offense.

I would like to represent myself seeing how I cannot afford an attorney, and I wanted to use this as my defense. Any suggestions? Am I out of luck? Is there a way to approach the PA before the trial begins (I understand you must have an attorney present to plea bargain)?

Thanks for reading this long post and responding-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">