• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Audit/Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

navydoc3

What is the name of your state?Michigan
I pay child support throught the state of Ohio.
Mahoning County CSEA, who handle my case have just started an audit,and have told me they will then file Emanciation papers, to stop my child support order, and therefore my wage garnishment.
What exactly is involved in an Emancipation proceedings??,and as i have been told that the court date is not likely to be until August at the earliest, how do i go about getting back the overpayment of child support , i will have made by that point??
Thank You

VeronicaGia

The proceedings will decide whether or not your child should be considered an adult and no longer eligible to receive support payments. You will want to look up OH law on this and see exactly what will emancipate a child.

Support orders are retroactive to the date of filing the petition. A judge may or may not force your ex to repay the overpaid support. You need to ask for it and hope for the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">