• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Stress!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csasc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? South Carolina
I'm getting married in 12 days, our Matron of Honor decided about four weeks before the actually wedding date that she no longer wanted to participate in the wedding due to some rumor she heard. She has demanded her dress or the money to be returned to her this week. So, she can go on vacation! She stated, that if the money or the dress was not returned today 07/07/04, she would go to the magistrate court and sue me for the cost of the dress and damages. I of course, refused to return or pay for the dress as of now, due to all the stress and great inconvenience that she has caused us. I don't plan for this case to ever come before a judge, because I don't feel that I really have any legal ground to stand on.
I feel that she made a verbal agreement/contract to both of us, not only to participate (i.e. help cook, decorate, and favors) in our wedding, but she was asked and accepted the position of Matron of Honor. Two others dress have been purchased and sized to match the bride's maid dress. So now we must basically start over due to her actions. I have offered to work something out after the wedding. I stated that I would either certify mail the dress to her home or certify mail a payment.

Do I have ANY legal right in this matter since she was offered and accepted a verbal contract?

What will happen when she files in magistrate court? Can the police be sent to my home and demand payment or the dress?

If she won the court case can she get additional damages?

How long will it take to get in front of the judge?

Can I drag this out up until the court case date and then just settle out of court? If so, can she receive any additional money?

If I do go to court can I counter sue of price of gas traveling/time to pick up the bride's maid dress? The cost for the additional dresses? To be deducted form the retail cost of the dress?

Thanks in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">