• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Penalty for posting degrading pictures?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Earthly

I'm from california

the story goes....
In attempt to seek revenge against my ex-girlfriend, i plan to post a few naked pictures of her on a self-built website along with a short document saying negative things about her, and then later sending the link to the 100 or so friends/schoolmates via A.I.M.

The pictures are mine, They were taken on my camera, We were both over 18 at the time, and she willingly posed in a sexuall manner as i took the pictures.

MY QUESTION: Are there any possible legal ramifications she could take if she got mad enough? Would she have a case?

ALSO: we both still live with our parents

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Earthly said:
I'm from california

the story goes....
In attempt to seek revenge against my ex-girlfriend, i plan to post a few naked pictures of her on a self-built website along with a short document saying negative things about her, and then later sending the link to the 100 or so friends/schoolmates via A.I.M.

The pictures are mine, They were taken on my camera, We were both over 18 at the time, and she willingly posed in a sexuall manner as i took the pictures.

MY QUESTION: Are there any possible legal ramifications she could take if she got mad enough? Would she have a case?

ALSO: we both still live with our parents

My response:

If your girlfriend were to come to me for representation, I'd take her case - - if for nothing else, the principle of the matter. But, I'd also put a "money hurt" on you so bad, your head would be spinning for at least the next 20 years (that's how long a judgment lasts in California). You never received a "right" to "publish" the pictures; i.e., a "model's release".

Tort liability for invasion of privacy arises from four distinct kinds of activities: (a) intrusion into private matters; (b) public disclosure of private facts; (c) publicity placing a person in a false light; and (d) misappropriation of a person's name or likeness. [Hill v. National Collegiate Athletic Ass'n (1994) 7 Cal.4th 1, 24, 26 Cal.Rptr.2d 834, 848]

Public disclosure of private facts:
To state a common law disclosure of private facts tort claim, plaintiff must allege "(1) a public disclosure of (2) private facts that is (3) offensive to a person of reasonable sensibilities." [Kemp v. County of Orange (1989) 211 Cal.App.3d 1422, 1427-1428, 260 Cal.Rptr. 131, 134]

"Public" disclosure:
Although wide disclosure is not required to state a claim under the privacy provision of the California Constitution, "common law invasion of privacy by public disclosure of private facts requires that the actionable disclosure be widely published and not confined to a few persons or limited circumstances." [Hill v. National Collegiate Athletic Ass'n (1994) 7 Cal.4th 1, 27, 26 Cal.Rptr.2d 834, 850]

The right to privacy is an inalienable right under the California constitution; its invasion must be justified by a compelling state interest. [Ca Const. Art. I, § 1; White v. Davis (1975) 13 Cal.3d 757, 775, 120 Cal.Rptr. 94, 106]

The tort of "invasion of privacy" comprises four related causes of action, three of which may apply in the collection context:
• Unreasonable intrusion into private affairs;
• Placing plaintiff in a false light;
• Public disclosure of embarrassing private facts. [See Lugosi v. Universal Pictures (1979) 25 Cal.3d 813, 819, 160 Cal.Rptr. 323, 326; and Book of Approved Jury Instructions (BAJI) 7.20]

IAAL

CdwJava

IAAL,

When you're on ... wow!

Earthly,

I think the answer is: "No! You cannot publish the pictures."

Revenge isn't worth bankruptcy and being sold into indentured servitude.

Carl

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'm always "on". You're just not used to my style, or attitude. But, if you read between the lines, everything I say is backed up by legal authority - - even when I refer to someone as "trailer trash", "skank" or whatever other epithet or adjective I may use. The verbiage may not be used by appellate judges, but that's what they were thinking in their decisions.

IAAL

BlondeIntel

Motherly Advice

I'm not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice. This is the kind of advice that you might get from a sister or mother. Having been both of these for many years, I feel qualified to give this kind of advice.

Earthly said:
I'm from california

the story goes....
I'm trying to put myself in your shoes. If you are wanting to do something to hurt your ex-girlfriend, then she must have done something to hurt you and you want her to feel the same hurt that you do. But, in my opinion, "Hurt-and-hurt-back" is a miserable way to live.

Earthly said:

If I saw that a man I knew had posted intimate pictures of his previous girlfriend on a website and subjected her to ridicule, I would not want that man as my boyfriend. A gentleman doesn't tell.

"If we practice an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, soon the whole world will be blind and toothless." - Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited:

BlondeIntel

IAAL's "legal authority"

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I'm always "on". You're just not used to my style, or attitude. But, if you read between the lines, everything I say is backed up by legal authority - - even when I refer to someone as "trailer trash", "skank" or whatever other epithet or adjective I may use. The verbiage may not be used by appellate judges, but that's what they were thinking in their decisions.

IAAL
Emphasis by BlondeIntel

Everything?

From IAAL in another post:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
What a stupid idiot you are. Are you missing some genes? You're obviously a "transplant" from someplace like Arkansas or the bayous of Georgia - - a real Dufus!
IAAL
If you wan't me to believe that, you'll have to show me proof of your genetic research in Arkansas.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">