• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carole Howell

What is the name of your state? Tennessee. My daughter is 19. She took 2 classes in the spring. She dropped out of both. She would like to try again in the fall. The divorce decree states her father and I will split the cost of college. He does not want to pay since she dropped out of the 2 classes. Can I force him or will the court force him to pay half? If you think he can be forced to pay and I have to take him back to court, will he have to pay my court cost?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

n_and

I don't know the answer but I can tell you that you should get out the divorce decree and type out, word for word, what it says. You also may want to post this in the divorce section of the forums.

Good Luck.

nextwife

Maybe she'd be more conscientious about her studies and the value of the tuition costs if SHE were made to pay for it. My sibs and I all went through college on our own nickels. Amazing how much more one appreciates the money being spent when one is spending it themsleves.

Maybe dad would agree to cover half of next year, if she pays for this year, since she totally wasted the tuition money paid last year.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I was thinking the same thing, nw. Unless she had a really good reason (i.e. she had to have a heart transplant and couldn't get to class), what assurance does Dad have that he's not throwing good money after bad? I'm betting a court would be sympathetic to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">