• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pls Help: Land Auction in 48 hrs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bonnetta

What is the name of your state? TN

Today I found out that land in our family is being auctioned on Sat. morning, July 10. I was informed by an ad in the town paper. I am out of state as are most of the family that own this land. One family member was farming the land and paying taxes. She stopped paying taxes because it is now being auctioned. This land has been in our family for five generations. It means a lot to us. The original owner (my g, g, g, grandmother) did not leave a will so it passed from generation to generation. The recent family occupant died about two years ago and the next family member to live on it free of charge (they were responsible for taxes) failed to pay. What can I do to stop the auction, pay the taxes and get the tax bill sent to me? In addition we found out that the furniture in the home on our land she auctioned illegally. Nothing belonged to her except the land but it was mutually owned by the descendants of the orignal owners. Please shed some light one what I can do. I have 48 hours. I do have the number to the County's deed office but how can land be auctioned w/o the notification of the past due taxes by the land's owners? The third generation relative is still alive.

Thanks.. any help is appreciated.

R

RobertinAbilene

Call the tax assessor and find out how much the taxes are and then pay them. I believe you can step up and pay the taxes any time before the auction and this should stop the sale.
Get the free-rider off the property and get a lawyer.
Make her pay for the furniture she sold.

B

Bonnetta

Update

I found out that the property was foreclosed so the land is basically lost. I hate that some people are not responsible with history and family property. What I have learned from this lesson is to build a legacy and instill the importance of land ownership in my children. It is a regretable thing. I did some research online and found that several African American men who fought in the Civil War were buried in our family cemetary. What a waste!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">