• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help for a Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilkhats44

A friend of mine died, about a year ago. She left a child behind. Her husband died about 6 years ago. She also left behind a house note (loan). The child receive some benefits from SSI, but it under $1,000. Once the child pay the house note, electric bill, telephone bill, etc.. The child have no money for him. Here is something to keep in mind:

This is in Tennessee.
The child parents is deceased.
The child is under 18, but not disable.
The child receive less the $1,000 a month.
The child have a loan to pay due to parents, after that is taken out the child doesn't even have enuff for his needs.

Thanks!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ilkhats44 said:
A friend of mine died, about a year ago. She left a child behind. Her husband died about 6 years ago. She also left behind a house note (loan). The child receive some benefits from SSI, but it under $1,000. Once the child pay the house note, electric bill, telephone bill, etc.. The child have no money for him. Here is something to keep in mind:

This is in Tennessee.
The child have a loan to pay due to parents, after that is taken out the child doesn't even have enuff for his needs.

Thanks!!!

My response:

Thanks for writing. What would you like us to do - - donate money?

IAAL

Shay-Pari'e

ilkhats44 said:

This is in Tennessee.

Thanks!!!
Who is taking care of this child, and why is this child paying bills for the house?

nextwife

ilkhats44 said:
......The child receive some benefits from SSI, but it under $1,000. Once the child pay the house note, electric bill, telephone bill, etc.. The child have no money for him.
I sure would hope that whichever adult is caring for this child is not expecting the CHILD's resources to pay for the housing, etc. expenses! As an adult, that party is responsible to pay for their own housing, phone bills, etc. The child's money should ONLY be used to cover the added costs of ADDING that child to their household. WE adults pay for our housing and phone bills. A child doesn't need their own phone service, and the property payments shoulds be made by whomever is living there with the child, or the property should perhaps be sold and the proceeds placed in trust to pay a monthly stipend toward the child's care.

The child shouldn't be footing the bill for their guardian's housing costs.

ilkhats44

The child has a legal guardian. The legal guardian has a family of their own. The legal guardian live next door to the child,so the child can stay over to his house, until it get dark, and go over to the legal guardian house. The legal guardian, and family members can't afford to pay the loan on the house. The last resort is selling the house, because it is a 4th generation house and property. There have to be some type of government program, that will help pay for the house, and give the child more money.

nextwife

The child should be more closely supervised than that.

How about finding a well-screened tenant, renting the property, and having the property mortgage and maintenance costs covered by the rental, and having the child, for NOW, stay at the guardians. This would preserve ownership of the house.

Kids shouldn't be on their own all day! They should be living with their guardians, not just sleeping there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">