• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims on personal property???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawn33

What is the name of your state? Illinois

i moved out. less than a week later, the locks were changed. i tried to make an attempt to go over to the house with 4 trucks ready to move things out, he wouldn't let me get my and my kid's things. i'm not sure if my lawyer can get my personal belongings back for me yet. but if i need to file for a small claim for our personal belongings, i would like to know if you have to have a detailed list of your things or will they grant a specified amount of time to go and get them??? it's a little hard to think of everything that you've accumilated in 9 yrs without a walkthru...if you know what i mean.

plus, how does one get things back, like, pictures that were downloaded on his computer by my camera. that is the things i'd love to have back. he's just not a civil person and would be too selfish to make copies for me. do i get to keep the gifts that were given to me from his family or do i take the ones back given him from mine??? what's fair??? if they were gifts to both of us, who gets them??? any help would be appreciated...thanx, dawn

BL

Small claims court are for monetary damages only .

Who is " He " you keep referring to ? I gather not the landlord .

Your best bet is to call the police , outside of your children's knowledge.
Ask them to help you get your personal belongings. They will only help you get what are necessities.IE: cloths , Etc.
Who knows maybe if you show with the police ,he will give it all up .

Then take him to court for what is of value , Gifts,pictures,things like that, you might as well forget .

D

dawn33

thanx for the reply...

when i showed up with the 4 trucks to gather my things, the police was there also. what was said was (by the police) that since my name wasn't on the property, he didn't have to let me in to get my things-even though i'd been living there before he (ex-boyfriend) changed the locks.

i know that i'll have to go to court to get my personal belongings/property but i'm wondering if i'll be able to get the things i want back that i can't list or what??? would like to know what outcomes others have had on getting their belongings back...how hard it is to go through the courts, how long it takes, what it costs, etc.??? thanx to any help...dawn

Happy Trails

dawn33 said:
when i showed up with the 4 trucks to gather my things, the police was there also. what was said was (by the police) that since my name wasn't on the property, he didn't have to let me in to get my things-even though i'd been living there before he (ex-boyfriend) changed the locks.

i know that i'll have to go to court to get my personal belongings/property but i'm wondering if i'll be able to get the things i want back that i can't list or what??? would like to know what outcomes others have had on getting their belongings back...how hard it is to go through the courts, how long it takes, what it costs, etc.??? thanx to any help...dawn

**This site will be helpful.

www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/self-help/s_claims/s_claim_hb/s_claim1201.htm#Insert

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">