• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concerned and confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dolphindan1

What is the name of your state? SC

OK 2 or 3 months ago my mother in law who no longer lives in the house with her Husband signed a quit claim deed releasing her rights to my father in laws house. He was in the process of refinance and taking some of that money to help us buy our house. She agreed to help us any way she could. They have been seperated for over 4 years but anyway. She asked no questions about what she was signing and just signed and walked away. Now she is claiming we tricked her and wants her name back on the house. What can she legally do? Thanks in advance

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dolphindan1 said:
What is the name of your state? SC

OK 2 or 3 months ago my mother in law who no longer lives in the house with her Husband signed a quit claim deed releasing her rights to my father in laws house. He was in the process of refinance and taking some of that money to help us buy our house. She agreed to help us any way she could. They have been seperated for over 4 years but anyway. She asked no questions about what she was signing and just signed and walked away. Now she is claiming we tricked her and wants her name back on the house. What can she legally do? Thanks in advance

My response:

When did you buy your new house?

IAAL

D

Dolphindan1

we closed the Thursday before Memorial day she helped us move.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dolphindan1 said:
we closed the Thursday before Memorial day she helped us move.
My response:

Then, she has nothing. The money was used for the purpose it was intended, and the Quit Claim Deed that she signed is final.

People should know what they're signing and, if they don't, they have no one to blame but themselves.

IAAL

D

Dolphindan1

If she tries to divorce him can she still get part of the assets of the house. I hope I said that right. Will the judge still give her half the house or make him buy her out.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dolphindan1 said:
If she tries to divorce him can she still get part of the assets of the house. I hope I said that right. Will the judge still give her half the house or make him buy her out.

My response:

Before I answer your question, I need your answers to the following:

Do you know what "Quit Claim Deed" means?

What is the significance of a "Quit Claim Deed"?

IAAL

D

Dolphindan1

I thought I did but more that likely not. I assume it means she is reliquishing all rights to the property and it gets filed with the courthouse.....If I am not quite right please explain it to me.....Thanks for all your help so far

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dolphindan1 said:
I assume it means she is reliquishing all rights to the property and it gets filed with the courthouse.....
My response:

Your assumption is quite correct. Therefore, since she "relinquished" all right and title to the property, she has no claim to the property at all. It's like signing over the title to a car, or signing Bearer Bonds. Once a Quit Claim Deed is signed and recorded with the County Recorder's Office, it's all over - - it's a done deal. There's no going back - - unless she can actually prove "fraud in the inducement." It would be easier to climb Mount Everest.

IAAL

D

Dolphindan1

Got it....Fraud....I dont think so....I dont think anyone came right out and told her what it was but the paper was handed to her....Is that fraud....She even got copies

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dolphindan1 said:
Got it....Fraud....I dont think so....I dont think anyone came right out and told her what it was but the paper was handed to her....Is that fraud....She even got copies

My response:

Are you reading what I have said to you earlier? I'll repeat it, just in case you missed it - -

"People should know what they're signing and, if they don't, they have no one to blame but themselves."

When people fail to read something before they sign, that's not "fraud". In the law, we call that "sheer stupidity".

IAAL

D

Dolphindan1

Yeah I read It was my attempt at humor.....I guess it failed.....thanks for all your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">