• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Speeding Ticket - What are my Options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skevin007

I have an Iowa drivers license.
I live in Florida
I got a ticket in Goergia (80 in a 55. BS speed trap on I 75)

Anyway, I dont care about paying the ticket, that is fine. I want to know if there is any way to keep my insurance company from finding out about this ticket.

If I take drivers school, which removes the points from my license, will this keep my insurance company from knowing about it?

Also, if I decide to just take the ticket as it is, will my premiums go dramatically up? This would be my first ticket and I am a 20 year old college student with no record.

Sorry, I have researched all of this and am coming up blank. I just dont want my insurance going sky high (especially if I change companies soon.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

M

meerkat3232

Be careful

Kevin,

Currently all driver data is being put into huge databses which I am assuming will eventually link all states. As you have 3 states involved here, your insurer may not find out. If you change insurers, you would have to either tell your new insurer of your old one, which would tell your new one of the infraction (if they know about it). Or tell your new insurer you have not been driving for the last few years due to whatever, but then you may have higher premiums due to "lack of insurance history".
As far as the ticket, you are lucky. The cop could have possibly given you a reckless for being at 20 over the limit or just being at 80mph. No BS speedtrap, you just got caught, slow it down. Where ever you were going, will probably still be there when you get there:))

M

meerkat3232

Additionally....

If you had gotten a reckless citation, it often carries the same inflation as a DUI on your insurance. My insurance went from $600 a year to $3200 a year because of that one little ticket. Also, you would have to file an SR-22 form with the state's DMV essentially forcing you to tell them you got the ticket, and you have to have that for m on file for 3-4 years. Basically, I am looking at paying 2500-3200 insurance for the next 3 years for my screw-up. I noted you will be 21 shortly. That money, invested in mutual funds over the next 20 yrs until retirement, would have been my fishing boat. Don't make the same mistake I did.
About speed--on a hundred mile trip, the difference between 80 and 55 is only saving you 33 minutes per hundred miles...is the risk worth the reward???

S

skevin007

Response

Actually, it was near the end of a 10 hour trip from Tennessee. And I know this may sound like the oldest excuse in the book, but I truly was going with traffic. This was Interstate 75, right outside of Atlanta. The speed limit is 75 all the way through except for one area that dips to 55 for 1/3 of a mile. The cop claims this is where the other cop clocked. I looped around to find the trap set up far after the 55 zone....

CdwJava

And if the flow of traffic is at 75 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, then you are still guilty. As far as I know, going with the flow of traffic is not a legitimate defense to speeding in any court.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">