• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fell on restaurant property 7 months pregnant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enlightzen

undefined :confused: What is the name of your state?Florida

In Feb. I was 32 wks pregnant and fell off of a step at a local restaurant. It was raining and my husband was walking down the stairs with me. He was holding my arm until we got to the last step. There was a hand rail between us, but ended on the second to last step. As he opened the umbrella, we both stepped down. I slid off of the step, hit a brick pave, turned out I crushed my fibula and tibia. I had to have nine screws, a plate and rod put into my leg that night. I had little pain med. because of pregnancy and have been wheelchair bound for four months. I cannot walk w/ baby now that she is born, gave birth in a cast and was put under for extensive surgury on my let. Now get this, my husband is a contractor, he went back to take pics of the stairs and the side I feel off of was 10 inches high, the side he was on was 7 1/2. Code in Florida for stairs is 7 1/2 not to mention the stairs where wooded and wet. Thier insurance co. says I should have taked better care of myself during pregnancy and I should have known about the stairs since I was a local. I have never been to that rest. before and knew nothing about the tilt in the stairs. Apparently, law states that a building over 20 years old
does not need to follow code due to being grandfathered in. Can anyone give me some advice? I have major med bills, lost months of work and have been in physical therapy for a month. The orthopedic surgeon says I will never be able to run or jog again and as I age the screws may have to be replaced.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
have you consulted with a personal injury attorney yet? If no, what are you waiting for?

My response:

Christmas, perhaps? Maybe Hanukah? How about one of them other foreign and colorful Holidays that we, as Americans, have to put up with?

In order to even begin to answer your question, we'd have to have available to us your local county building codes. Since this site is for State matters, we have no access to local laws or codes. So, see a local attorney, and as StephenK has so poignantly stated, "what are you waiting for?"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">