• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA ticket with errors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Syv

What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

Received "reckless driving by speeding - 82/65" in Virginia. I was travelling at 70 in 65. Have clean record. Never been to court. I realize it will be pointless to point out my actual speed since there is no way to prove it.

1) The ticket states white male instead of white female. The ticket also states the wrong year of my vehicle - 2002 instead of 2001. In Canada, this would get the ticket thrown out of court. Will it have any effect in Virginia?

2) The officer mentioned I must show up in court or get an attorney? How does this work? How do I find an attorney in Virginia (from Canada) - What type am I looking for? Is this necessary?

Would it be helpful for me to take another trip down specifically to appear in court? If I did this, is an attorney still necessary?

3) How do "points" in USA affect Canadian driver's licence & insurance record?

4) The officer mentioned that he could not tell me the fine. It is set by the judge in court. Approximately what $$ might I expect? Someone mentioned there is a "court fee" charged as well? What is this amount or is it part of the total "fine"?

5) Is the court date/time ever changed? Does it ever get moved earlier if the "court day" is proceeding quicker than expected, or does it ever get postponed to another day?
i.e. - if I started driving down a few days before, is it safe to plan to arrive shortly before the actual court time stated on the ticket?

6) Is there anyone at the court I should call or write before the court date that would help in any way?

7) Any other helpful information would be appreciated about how this all works.

Thank you.

HomeGuru

Syv said:
What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

Received "reckless driving by speeding - 82/65" in Virginia. I was travelling at 70 in 65. Have clean record. Never been to court. I realize it will be pointless to point out my actual speed since there is no way to prove it.

1) The ticket states white male instead of white female. The ticket also states the wrong year of my vehicle - 2002 instead of 2001. In Canada, this would get the ticket thrown out of court. Will it have any effect in Virginia?

2) The officer mentioned I must show up in court or get an attorney? How does this work? How do I find an attorney in Virginia (from Canada) - What type am I looking for? Is this necessary?

Would it be helpful for me to take another trip down specifically to appear in court? If I did this, is an attorney still necessary?

3) How do "points" in USA affect Canadian driver's licence & insurance record?

4) The officer mentioned that he could not tell me the fine. It is set by the judge in court. Approximately what $$ might I expect? Someone mentioned there is a "court fee" charged as well? What is this amount or is it part of the total "fine"?

5) Is the court date/time ever changed? Does it ever get moved earlier if the "court day" is proceeding quicker than expected, or does it ever get postponed to another day?
i.e. - if I started driving down a few days before, is it safe to plan to arrive shortly before the actual court time stated on the ticket?

6) Is there anyone at the court I should call or write before the court date that would help in any way?

7) Any other helpful information would be appreciated about how this all works.

Thank you.
**A: do you have diplomatic immunity?

S

Syv

No diplomatic immunity. Just a regular citizen "tourist".

You Are Guilty

In response to Question #3:

Contact the VA DMV here

Monday through Friday -- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (est)
Saturday -- 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (est)

Toll Free: 1-866-DMVLINE (1-866-368-5463) or 1-800-435-5137
Fax: (804) 367-6631 TDD: 1-800-272-9268
And ask them if they have reciprocity with Ontario.

The remainder of your questions can be addressed by calling the VA county clerk (the phone number should be on the citation somewhere).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">