• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting an Alaskan speeding ticket from Washington: possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snorlax

Hi. I received a speeding ticket while on vacation recently in Ketchikan, Alaska. I will contest the charge if feasible.

First question: The officer did not make me sign the ticket. Do I have to do anything since I did not sign it? That is, is the ticket actually valid? I will likely be sending it in, in case it is.

Second question: If the ticket is valid do I have to appear in court or can I make my case via mail or other means? It may be cost-prohibitive to appear in court so I might just plead no contest and eat the charges.

Thanks for the help!

don.

HomeGuru

snorlax said:
Hi. I received a speeding ticket while on vacation recently in Ketchikan, Alaska. I will contest the charge if feasible.

First question: The officer did not make me sign the ticket. Do I have to do anything since I did not sign it? That is, is the ticket actually valid? I will likely be sending it in, in case it is.

Second question: If the ticket is valid do I have to appear in court or can I make my case via mail or other means? It may be cost-prohibitive to appear in court so I might just plead no contest and eat the charges.

Thanks for the help!

don.
**A: happy eating.

CdwJava

Contact the court and find out what your options are to fight or plead 'no contest' (pay) the ticket. You might have the option in AK of trial by written declaration, but I don't know. I imagine something like that is available if you want to.

The lack of a signature is probably not going to invalidate the ticket - it does not automatically do so in any other state that I know of.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">