• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandon car in private driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autumnkitten

What is the name of your state? Massachusettes

My roommate recently moved out and she left her car in the drive way. How long should i wait before i take legal action? what legal action can i take. My funds are limited, i'm currently working two jobs to just get by.

A friend of mine suggested having the car towed to a scrap yard, but i don't think i can because i do not have the title.

HomeGuru

autumnkitten said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusettes

My roommate recently moved out and she left her car in the drive way. How long should i wait before i take legal action? what legal action can i take. My funds are limited, i'm currently working two jobs to just get by.

A friend of mine suggested having the car towed to a scrap yard, but i don't think i can because i do not have the title.

**A: push it out to the main city/county road. From there, it would be ticketed and towed at no cost to you.

You Are Guilty

Uh, before you do that, is your friend (still) on the lease?

If not, you can also call the local PD and inform them someone parked illegally in your driveway. They can/usually will tow for that.

CdwJava

Well, if the laws out your way are the same or similar to those in CA, if you push it in to the street YOU will be cited and charged for the cost of the tow. The police won't tow it because its on private property and it was originally there with your permission.

You can probably call a tow company to remove it, but YOU might be liable for the tow fees if they can't get it out of the registered owner. But, if they can get enough for a lien sale on the car, they may tow it at no cost to you.

Have you tried calling or sending a registered letter to the former roomie?

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">