• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chellero

Suing for money owed

What is the name of your state? SC
A lady called me and asked to borrow $600. I hesitated but my hubby said she seemed nice. My 17 year old sister was living with the lady at the time and I trusted the lady somewhat. Anyway we had a verbal agreement that she would repay the loan in 3 months-$200 a month. She came to my town to get the money. I couldn't meet her so I had another sister to meet her and to write her a check that had loan on it. I repaid my sister. The lady didn't pay anything in the 3 months. Then she said when she got her taxes...Nothing...Then she said $50-100 a month. Nothing...I made many telephone calls. Once her daughter said that she was calling for her mother to get my address to send me some money. I got excited for nothing. Once she said to come to her home town she would leave a money order in her mailbox. I went and no money order was there. She said that someone must have stolen it. I made many more calls and visits to this lady. She finally just said that she doesn't have it. I did the paper work to take her to court. She replied that she is not reponsible at all because she did not borrow money from me. She claims that she borrowed the money from my 17 year old sister that was living with her at the time. I had an account for my sister. My sister could not withdraw money. I was over the account. I withdrew the money from that account. She says that my sister said that she didn't have to repay the money which is not true. She called my sister tonight and said that a judge told her that the wrong person is suing her. The lady made the verbal promise to me. I withdrew the money from the account that I was over. She accepted a check that said loan from another one of my sisters. I don't want to go to court and say that she owe the sister that wrote the check money-because I repaid her-although that would have been easier. Nor do I want to say that she owes my 17 sister the money because I was over the account. I want to be totally honest but it seems rather complicated. Do you think I have enough facts and witnesses-(my sisters) to prove that she did borrow the money from me? And would she be liable to repay?

Last edited:

BL

She accepted a check that said loan from another one of my sisters. [ quote ]

Your sister wrote the check with "loan" on it. If the check was in your sister's name , then she would have to sue for the return of the " LOAN".

Your sister has NOT received any money from the person who owed it .

Your sister does not have to bring you into this. Even though YOU paid your sister, The Debtor has NOT.

Your sister can file suit,get the Judgment, hopefully get paid,and pay you back.

You were NOT legally responsible for paying your sister , the Other Lady's debt, although I understand morally what you did.

Withdraw you lawsuit. Help your Sister refile it in her name against the Lady who SHE " LOANED" the money to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">