• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

radar - multiple cars?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klipped

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I was under the assumption that the inexpensive radar models used by police cannot distinguish the speed of a car when multiple cars are moving together. Is this true and to what degree are they accurate in that situation?

Also, in a VA reckless driving charge, what are the arguments that I must bring up to raise doubt? Radar calibration? Multiple car detection? Officer's visual assessment before targeting and reading?

Thanks-

CdwJava

"Inexpensive"? Heck, those things cost a bundle!

Depending on the radar or lidar used, they CAN target individual cars in a group (better done with lidar than radar). And if a group is moving at the same speed, it doesn't matter. Hitting a group of three cars all traveling at the same rate of speed is still good enough!

The only doubt you will likely be able to raise without paying an expensive attorney is calibration of the radar. If VA is like most other states, the officer is well trained in visual speed estimation and uses the radar only to confirm his visual estimation. You might be able to bring his training up, but that can bite you in the tail pipe. Unless you KNOW he has NOT been trained, its not likely you want to have his history before the court ... but, if he's a trained and experienced traffic officer, he'll put that out in his opening statement anyway.

Go to the nearest major book store and look for one of those self help books on how to fight traffic tickets in your state. They have SOME ideas ... usually dubious ones, but its something.

And slow down before you hurt someone!

Carl

lwpat

Visual Estimation of Speed

Why bother with just one car when your can write three or four tickets at once and then take a nice coffee and doughnut break? Some of the newer radars can actually track more than one vehicle but if you have several cars running "heel to toe" that is all the officer needs.

Your best bet is to appear in court and negotiate a reduction. This is pretty standard for most Virginia traffic courts.

If you can't make your court date just call the court and get a continuance. Usually you will get the first one without any problem.

K

klipped

I agree that I should slow down - unfortunately I'm young and consequences haven't fully embedded themselves in my brain yet, but I'll do my best.

How can I get the officer's training records? What about disclosure of evidence and other information the prosecution has?

This was not a simple case of one car out of 3 going the same speed, it was (in my opinion) a misjudgment by the officer as to whom was overtaking whom.

On the note of negotiating a reduction, do I plead NG first, then the judge will reduce the charge? I know I cannot speak with the prosecutor beforehand, but what about that day...?

lwpat

Depending on the laws of Virginia you can file a discovery request, a FOI request or subpoena the information to court. Many states do not allow discovery at the traffic court level and I do not know the procedure in VA.

In any event this will only make the officer and the court take special notice of you which is really not adviseable. Go to your court date and try to work out a deal. If you are not satisfied then plead not guilty and request a continuance to consult with an attorney.

BelizeBreeze

I agree that I should slow down - unfortunately I'm young and consequences haven't fully embedded themselves in my brain yet, but I'll do my best.
Then here's a suggestion. There is a very non-descript building in most larger cities with just a little plaque on the door. It's called a morgue.

Next time you feel like putting a little gas down, stop by there and attend one of their 'parties'. You just might get to meet a pretty young girl, or a chlild or better still, the whole family.

but don't expect any social graces. Just a lesson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">