• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is a separate agreement legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suell

What is the name of your state?NY

I am currently legally separated. When paperwork was signed I never got a lawyer because I thought it was a temporary thing (I know, how stupid). I asked H if he would agree to some changes. He agreed, but doesn't want to get a lawyer involved. He thinks that we could do it separately from the original agreement - in other words write something up & both sign it. At the risk of sounding stupid is this legal & binding? Will I be protected?

HomeGuru

suell said:
What is the name of your state?NY

I am currently legally separated. When paperwork was signed I never got a lawyer because I thought it was a temporary thing (I know, how stupid). I asked H if he would agree to some changes. He agreed, but doesn't want to get a lawyer involved. He thinks that we could do it separately from the original agreement - in other words write something up & both sign it. At the risk of sounding stupid is this legal & binding? Will I be protected?
**A: hire a lawyer or in the future your user name may just be sue instead of suell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">