• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to a speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? florida
my daughter is 15 and there was an incedent that happened three days prior to the end of school where a student spat on her and this started a fight and this fight ended up in my daughter and the other student getting arrested for battery. this happened june 7th it is now july 9th and even though i have contacted the juvenile justice department about the situation and to find out if she will be getting a divirsionary action or a summons i have heard nothing. this is infringing on her right to a speedy trial. the 30 days that is required for a speedy trial is gone. what can be done?

CdwJava

She's not in custody, and apparently has not been arraigned or charged yet. I don't think speedy trial rights apply here.

Carl

HomeGuru

lookitsmary said:
What is the name of your state? florida
my daughter is 15 and there was an incedent that happened three days prior to the end of school where a student spat on her and this started a fight and this fight ended up in my daughter and the other student getting arrested for battery. this happened june 7th it is now july 9th and even though i have contacted the juvenile justice department about the situation and to find out if she will be getting a divirsionary action or a summons i have heard nothing. this is infringing on her right to a speedy trial. the 30 days that is required for a speedy trial is gone. what can be done?
**A: isn't she at home and not sitting in a jail cell?

she is at home but i have an older child that had some trouble when he was younger and i was contacted within the 30 days of the incident and if he was offered a divirsionary action i had to waive the right to a speedy trial. When he got a summons that too came within 30 days as well as the court date.(case was handled within 30 days of the arrest) I am ignorant to the spacifics and that is why i am asking but if what your telling me is that the 30 day thing doesn't start until they deside what to do with her then so be it. if you could enlighten me i would greatly appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">