• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 over in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MickeyAsh

Hi there,
My girlfriend got a speeding ticket two days ago in upstate New York... it was for 70 in a 55... she's considering investing in a lawyer to fight the ticket so it wont affect her insurance. Can someone let me know if a 15mph over ticket would or wouldn't affect her insurance, or if she needs to fight it at all? Thanks a lot!

You Are Guilty

MickeyAsh said:
Hi there,
My girlfriend got a speeding ticket two days ago in upstate New York... it was for 70 in a 55... she's considering investing in a lawyer to fight the ticket so it wont affect her insurance. Can someone let me know if a 15mph over ticket would or wouldn't affect her insurance, or if she needs to fight it at all? Thanks a lot!
Only 15 over? And in upsate NY to boot? You don't even need to answer those - it's practically a warning. Forget a lawyer, just throw it in the trash and worry about more important things in life, like how come the Coyote never could figure out that every time he painted a tunnel on the side of a hill, a train would always come out of it. Weird.

M

MickeyAsh

lol, that's essentially what I told her after scoffing at the lawyer idea. :rolleyes:

But can any of you guys point me in the direction of some legal reference showing that 15mph over isn't a big deal? I'm pretty sure she'll show up on her court date regardless (which I dont really think is a bad idea...), but I'd like something a little more official so I can discourage her from going overboard with her response. Thanks again!

P.S.: At least the coyote was funny. :D

lwpat

New York Speeding Ticket

Even one ticket can increase your auto insurance premiums by as much as 25%. Speeding tickets stay on your record for three years so the real problem is the possibility of picking up another ticket in that time period. Then you can expect a real increase.

With that said a lot will depend on how often her particular insurance company checks MVR's. If she does not change companies they might not check so she would be in the clear as far as the premiums. Expensive chance to take.

My suggestion would be to plead not guilty and request the deposition from the officer. This information is on the back of the ticket. A new court date will be set and there should be a pretrial conference where she will be offered a lower violation. Then take the deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">