• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying Property with 2 boundary issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Random411

What is the name of your state? OR

I am currently in escrow with the purchase of a piece of property (zoned as woodland resources). After walking the property line with the seller I learned of 2 issues I will have to deal with once the property is mine.

First issue is one of the small adjacent properties is so small that the owner needs to keep 75ft of my property clear of any plant growth in order to build his home. This is fine. But I do not want to give him permanent rights to my new property even though I will almost never see this 75ft area. Would renting him the 75ft area at $1 a year be a doable legal solution?

Second issue is another adjoining property has a small home add-on garage (more of a shed). That currently extends 8 ft. onto my property. The owner of that property is aware of the issue. I don't feel the need to make him move it as again its in an area of my property that I would almost never see, but I do not want him to ever have any rights or claims to be able to later take some of my property claiming something like squatters rights. Again I am interested in the either a rental solution or maybe having him sign a waiver giving up any rights or claims to my property. Ultimately I can make him remove it if need be but I would hate to do that. What should I do to make sure I am covered legally?

Thanks for any advice, it is much appreciated.

Random411

FarmerJ

Get a boundry survey done then Go to the links up top and consult with a local real estate atty , I would imagine that you could have a atty write up for you a very restrictive lease for the one who must keep vegetation clear where they are responsible for maintaining that area but cannot make any Improvements with out your written consent , doing the lease in such a way that it will allow them to lease it say 2 years at a time (talk to atty about that ) , the other persons shed the atty can draw up a demand letter that the shed must be removed OR perhaps a encroachment agreement that would spell out terms like if the shed were destroyed for any reason that it must be removed . Or just doing a lease again . But you really need to talk with a local real estate atty to learn what ALL your options may be and they can help you get something that will be suitable and protect your interest at the same time .

P

Peety

a small suggestion .....

Though small, together their "rent" should cover your attorney fees. At least that way it is fair to you also .... seeming as you're planning to bend over backwards to be nice to them !!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">