• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to go from here/2nd opinion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanDoe

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

I just met with another lawyer (for a second opinion) to review the most recent settlement proposal I received from my husband and his lawyer during a 4-way conference. According to her, my instincts were correct that my lawyer is not doing enough to advocate on my behalf. She went on to explain that he was completely wrong to agree that my husband should expect to receive the down payment back that he made on our house (after we were already married). Unfortunately, during the conference my lawyer made the mistake of blurting out that he knows my husband should legally get this money back so we won't even contest it!

I am meeting with my lawyer in a few days to let him know about what I have been told I am entitled to. After spending $3,000. so far, I feel I am stuck with my lawyer (the attorney I received the 2nd opinion from demands a retainer of $7,000. which I can't afford!!!).

What is the best way to approach this with my lawyer, without telling him how he should be doing his job, or firing him? Also, is it too late to radically change what I had stated I would agree to (when the 4-way conference was held)? The conference ended without a final settlement agreement, because my husband walked out over an additional few thousand dollars; now I'm glad he did!!

Thanks so much-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">