• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement of estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cloudy

What is the name of your state?
Wisconsin
My Grandma passed away this last Thanksgiving. My Step-Grandfather was made Per Rep for her estate. She owned a home from her previous marriage (widowed) and that home is the estate. My Aunt, Uncle and Step-Grandfather currently reside there. The beneficiaries are Step-Grandfather, my Aunt (last surviving Daughter), my sister and myself (deceased Daughter's kin). The shares are 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/8 respectively. My Step-Grandfather wants the house titled in all of our names with the shares as stated. The issue is, we don't live there (sis & I), and don't want to. If someone falls in front of the home wouldn't we be liable also? Do we have to accept the estate settlement this way, or do they need to buy us out? Do we need an atty to get it settled? How long does he have? We are over 21 years old.

****Update**** 9/24/04
My Step-Grandfather has now changed the locks on the house. He told my sis that we will get nothing out of the house (family photos, heirlooms). He said my aunt who still lives there will get what she wants. I was promised certain items from our Grandma while she was alive. Am I wrong to think we are entitled to some of our Grandma's items (she owned these items B-4 2nd marriage to him) on behalf of our Mom's share? Also I have MS I don't need the extra stress he is putting on me, but I want what should be our's too. He knows I have MS and extra stress could cause a relapse of symptoms. PS we also have not petitioned court to sell home nor have we requested any boarding/rent monies. They are living there technically for free! I am really hurt and sad over the situation. Please advise what to do?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

The ownership shares and names have to be listed to show who owns what, but that will change whenever they buy you out if they want to continue living there or sell to someone else.

You personally will never be liable for any accident--the insurance companies take care of that.

You do need to consult an attorney to find out how to enforce your rights to insure that they will pay you for the buyout instead of just continuing to live there and ignoring your request for payment.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">