• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yard used as a passageway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Barbara55

florida

My neighbor built one or those stone walls (typical from home depot) within 6 inches from the property line. I could care less what he chooses to do, but he uses our property to get to his back yard, so I put up a fence to block his access. Well, there is just enough room between his wall and my fence to get his lawn mower through, so he mows a path through my yard and into the narrow opening to get to his back yard. What would you do? He mows his yard shorter than I do so it looks like the 2-3 feet he comes over belong to him.
Also, he recently planted Crepe Myrtles within 2 feet of my property, small now but they are trees not bushes. He also planted a southern magnolia within a foot of my property. A stick at this time, but they grow 20 to 30 feet wide. What would you do?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Barbara55 said:
florida

My neighbor built one or those stone walls (typical from home depot) within 6 inches from the property line. I could care less what he chooses to do, but he uses our property to get to his back yard, so I put up a fence to block his access. Well, there is just enough room between his wall and my fence to get his lawn mower through, so he mows a path through my yard and into the narrow opening to get to his back yard. What would you do? He mows his yard shorter than I do so it looks like the 2-3 feet he comes over belong to him.
Also, he recently planted Crepe Mertles within 2 feet of my property, small now but they are trees not bushes. He also planted a southern magnolia within a foot of my property. A stick at this time, but they grow 20 to 30 feet wide. What would you do?

**A: I would forget about the lawnmower issue. I would tell him to re-plant the trees father away from the property line.

B

Barbara55

Thanks for replying!
I told him the trees were too close, but he just ignored me!

I wish I were evil and could throw some weed killer on the trees, but he would know it was me!

Happy Trails

QUOTE: I wish I were evil and could throw some weed killer on the trees, but he would know it was me!

Find an old wringer washing machine and set it close to the tree, do a load of whites, (you can't help it if your bleach bottle tipped over)(he he)

Maybe you could plant something that would choke out the roots of his tree?

Build a brick barbequer, so if the tree starts to expand your way, maybe that would hold it back. Probably not, but if his tree damages it, you could sue.

Seriously, check with your city zoning, and see if there are any "set backs" that people have to abide by as far as building/planting ect... from their property line. He might not be in compliance.

B

Barbara55

His stone "wall" is only about a foot high, just enough to enclose a bed with 3 foot high germinating weeds. He only weeds once a year and the neighbors on the other side of him are sick of it also.

FarmerJ

Buckthorn is a wonderfully invasive bushy type of woody plant that IS a major pain to get rid of , It rapidly forms roots that help make sucker plants and thus MORE new growth . DO use aluminum unrolled and buried to help contain the roots by forcing them to grow away from your side of the property line .

B

Barbara55

Thank you for your suggestions.

How do you suggest putting in the aluminum? How wide? Vertically? Where do I purchase it?

Also will buckthorn choke out my plantings. I am planning a border garden on my side to block his lawn mower passageway.

HomeGuru

Barbara55 said:
Thank you for your suggestions.

How do you suggest putting in the aluminum? How wide? Vertically? Where do I purchase it?

Also will buckthorn choke out my plantings. I am planning a border garden on my side to block his lawn mower passageway.
**A: post your questions on the forum www.doityourself.com

M

MommaC

Happy Trails said:
QUOTE:
Maybe you could plant something that would choke out the roots of his tree?
Wisteria has parasitic qualities, which eventually destroys any nearby host plants. My neighbor has a wisteria bush in his yard, and last year the vines destroyed the phone lines that run between our yards. I just wonder if the phone company billed him for having to replace those lines. I keep an eye on that bush, as it's very close to my property line. Beautiful, but invasive and fast growing. Feed me Seymour, feed me!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">