• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married In Las Vegas-now Live In Calif., Now Want A Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KAMKAT

What is the name of your state? CA
1-LIVE IN CALIF., NOW
2-GOT MARRIED IN LAS VEGAS, NV IN 95
3-BEEN LIVING APART SINCE 97
4-HOW DO I FILE FOR DIVORCE AND NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HER DEBT.
5-AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR ALIMONY PAYMENTS- SHE HAD A DRUG PROBLEM
AND STILL HAS ONE.
6-CAN I DO THIS MYSELF AND WHAT IS THE SHORTEST TIME THIS WILL TAKE
7- CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME ON THIS MATTER- SO I WON'T GET SCREWED IN THE END AGAIN.

Last edited:

stephenk

go to your local courthouse, pay for the forms for dissolution of marriage, fill out the forms, file the forms with the proper payment, have a conformed copy of the petition served on your wife, have the proof of service filed with the court, if she doesnt answer the petition file a default, then get your judgment entered.

OR

go to Barnes & Noble and buy a self-help book on doing your own divorce. Nolo Press publishes excellent books on the subject.

rmet4nzkx

Go to the net, type in Superior Court (your county) look for self help section and or family law, check about the family law facilitator and mediation, also clinics, usually there will be place to access interactive or printable forms from California Judicial Council, or you can get these at the courthouse etc. or here: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/
Here is a link to al the Superior Courts and their websites http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/courts/trial/courtlist.htm

That part is simple, the problem you will have is the date of separation, or proving it. That will determine whether or not you will be responsible for her bills or spousal support.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rmet4nzkx said:
Go to the net, type in Superior Court (your county) look for self help section and or family law, check about the family law facilitator and mediation, also clinics, usually there will be place to access interactive or printable forms from California Judicial Council, or you can get these at the courthouse etc. or here: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/
Here is a link to al the Superior Courts and their websites http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/courts/trial/courtlist.htm

That part is simple, the problem you will have is the date of separation, or proving it. That will determine whether or not you will be responsible for her bills or spousal support.

My response:

The sites you mention are "secondary" sources. Our writer really needs a self-help step-by-step book, and the only way to get the necessary information about the forms, and the reasons for their usage, is to buy such a book.

You see, the reason why I say these sites are "secondary" is because they teach nothing about how to work with the law. The forms are wonderful, but to a layperson, they're only a bunch of forms. He won't know which forms to use, and all of the necessary forms throughout the litigation, and at which point to use them, without help - - and that, of course, assumes that he'll even know what he's looking at, and understands the forms, when he sees them.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

to: IAAL

I agree, that is why I gave mention of the family law facilitator, clinics and mediators offices. Some court sites explain the forms and their usage others don't, throw in local rules and what ever the court pleases and it can be confusing. Hopefully at least doing some research will be a start. The previous poster gave the reference to getting a self help book from NOLO press, I didn't want to restate the obvious and was only trying to be helpful by giving click away access to some information, to get started. The real issue will be the date of separation and he will need help for that, because as dysfunctional as she may currently be, she is not likely to default on that and will need more than forms in that case and will need an attorney and he will end up paying for it all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">