• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death of fiancee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fuelcell

Connecticut / NY

My friend and his fiancee had been living together in CT since July 2003. In September of 2003, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and she passed away at her parents home in NY in April 2004. She was age 25 at the time of her death. Following the wake, her mother removed engagement ring from her daughter's finger and now wears it. My friend has asked for it back (he still owes a lot of money on it) but she steadfastly refuses to return it. I've read lots of the threads related to return of engagement rings but all seem to address who owns the ring in the event of a break-off of the engagement. Is ownership different in this case ??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

fuelcell said:
Connecticut / NY

My friend and his fiancee had been living together in CT since July 2003. In September of 2003, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and she passed away at her parents home in NY in April 2004. She was age 25 at the time of her death. Following the wake, her mother removed engagement ring from her daughter's finger and now wears it. My friend has asked for it back (he still owes a lot of money on it) but she steadfastly refuses to return it. I've read lots of the threads related to return of engagement rings but all seem to address who owns the ring in the event of a break-off of the engagement. Is ownership different in this case ??

My response:

Yes, ownership IS different in this case. There was no "breakup". The ring was a gift, and as soon as it was accepted, the ring became her property. As such, it later became property of the deceased woman's Estate.

Your friend is left with a bill.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">