• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors dead tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neesie2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

One year ago, my neighbors large pine tree was struck by lightening and killed. It stands just beyond my property line between our houses. It is approximately 50 ft tall and 2 ft. in diameter. It is OBVIOUSLY dead and, in my opinion, a potential hazard for either of us depending on which way it chooses to fall. My neighbor is an elderly woman who appears to be quite well off financially. We have always been friendly towards each other, but I have noticed that she has some strange notions that are paranoid in nature. I have attempted to handle this issue with kid gloves, making subtle suggestions that the tree might cause harm, that it might be wise to have it removed but to no avail. I searched for the least expensive tree person to cut the tree and was able to find someone who would do the job quite cheaply. Again, she said she didn't have the money to have it cut.....I offered to pay for half of the fee, if she would just have it done. She finally agreed after telling me how destitute she is, and that she just doesn't have any money-etc. Now I feel rather stupid because after doing a little research, I found out that she is LOADED! I did wonder how she could afford two Caddies....anyway, how else could I have handled this situation? In my state, legally, what else could I have done? (Actually, the tree is STILL standing, as the tree cutters have postponed several times.)

Shay-Pari'e

If a tree on your neighbor’s property falls and damages your home or property, your policy generally pays for your damage and to remove the part of the tree in your yard. Your neighbor perhaps would be liable for damage to your property if the tree is in fact dead. In such negligent situations, your insurance company probably would deal with your neighbor’s company. Although, the damage may be covered by your insurance, most property policies have deductibles that you must pay before they pay for any damage or tree removal.

The tree is on her property, and unless you are caused any damage because of the tree, there is nothing you can do.

I also would not relish the fact that a neighbor of mine was looking up my finances.

Shay-Pari'e

I got your PM, and responded. Again, if she is elderly, just see if you can assist her with the tree. Her insurance will cover most of it. I love old people, even if they are cranky.

tami123

Assuming the tree was clearly dead or posed a dangerous condition, any resulting damage to your property should be covered by her insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">