• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor duties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jglasse

What is the name of your state? California

My father died this morning. I am the executrix of his estate. I have no clue as to what I am supposed to do. Besides my ignorance, all is well. We have the will, though I am not sure it is the most current one. The assets to be dispersed are in a trust. I understand that this means no probate. Is there some place that I can go to get something like an executor's check list? What should my first move be? Thanks in advance for whatever response I might receive.

Dandy Don

You can find a book about this at the library and/or bookstore. Yes, since it appears most of the valuable assets have been put into a trust that probate will not be needed unless there are assets not mentioned in the trust that probate would need to distribute.

J

jglasse

reccomendation

Is there a particular book that you would reccomend?

mkawahara

Nolo Press

Try this book: The Executor's Guide: Settling a Loved One's Estate or Trust by Nolo Press.

www.nolo.com

Nolo Press is a good outfit founded by a former legal aid attorney who was fed up that regular people had to pay a lot of money for simple legal tasks they can do themselves. They give good advice.

In CA, the law requires you notify the heirs within 60 days of the passing of the trustee (notification starts the administration ball rolling). Not exactly what you need after a loved one passes but that's what they want.

Good luck with this!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">