• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding and entrapment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smokinfoo

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Apparently a local cop clocked me doing 57 in a 40. My concern is he didn't pull me over until we were about a good 4 blocks from where he clocked me. I was pulling into my driveway when i looked in the rearview mirror to see a cop one car behind me. only then did he turn on his lights and pull in behind me. now my understanding is this is entrapment. i believe i heard somewhere they can't follow you for more then a 1/4 of a mile if you have preformed something illegal. i'm just curious if he was waiting for me to do something else or what. unfortunately i cannot find anything regarding entrapment in all the legalese.

i plan on fighting this ticket, but would like to go armed with some knowledge.

Shay-Pari'e

smokinfoo said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Apparently a local cop clocked me doing 57 in a 40. My concern is he didn't pull me over until we were about a good 4 blocks from where he clocked me. I was pulling into my driveway when i looked in the rearview mirror to see a cop one car behind me. only then did he turn on his lights and pull in behind me. now my understanding is this is entrapment. i believe i heard somewhere they can't follow you for more then a 1/4 of a mile if you have preformed something illegal. i'm just curious if he was waiting for me to do something else or what. unfortunately i cannot find anything regarding entrapment in all the legalese.

i plan on fighting this ticket, but would like to go armed with some knowledge.

Where on earth did you hear this stuff? Go armed with the money to pay the fine.

CdwJava

This 1/4 mile thing is an urban myth .. right up there with the one that said if you ask a suspect undercover cop if he WAS a cop he had to answer truthfully that he was or not.

As Paridise said - bring money.

Carl

divgradcurl

I don't have anything to add to what Paridise and CdwJava had to say about bringing money...

now my understanding is this is entrapment
But just for the sake of completeness, "entrapment" means the cops got you to do something that you wouldn't have done if the cops hadn't talked you into it. This is generally very, very difficult to show -- basically, you have to be a totally law-abiding citizen, and only once the cops put the idea in your head to do something illegal did you ever break the law.

Cops hiding in the bushes, or following you around waiting for YOU to do something illegal or stupid on your own is not entrapment -- its just good police work!

S

smokinfoo

well thanks for the information,

and tipdrill kindly go f u c |< yourself.

Bravo8

divgradcurl said:
I don't have anything to add to what Paridise and CdwJava had to say about bringing money...

But just for the sake of completeness, "entrapment" means the cops got you to do something that you wouldn't have done if the cops hadn't talked you into it. This is generally very, very difficult to show -- basically, you have to be a totally law-abiding citizen, and only once the cops put the idea in your head to do something illegal did you ever break the law.

Cops hiding in the bushes, or following you around waiting for YOU to do something illegal or stupid on your own is not entrapment -- its just good police work!
Perhaps in Cali, but not here. Entrapment is a little more involved.

Entrapment requires one of two elements. You either had to not know you were committing the offense (i.e. a cop plants drugs on you, then arrests you for possession); or you had to be convinced by the police that the conduct was not illegal (i.e., the officer tells you, "Go ahead and drive....you're not above the limit" after you have been drinking, and then promptly stops you and arrests you for driving over the legal BAC limit).

The officer merely "talking you into" doing something that you knew was illegal, while it may be extremely unethical, is not entrapment.....at least not in my neck o' the woods.

Now to the original poster, how big are your "blocks"? 4 blocks doesn't seem to be an extreme amount of time to catch someone doing 54 mph when you start from a standstill.

U

uolamer

it is common for police to keep watching you after you break a law, they do that in several ways and it is legal in almost every instance, if not every instance.

I think the only time they should legally immedantly do something is if you are a major threat to others or yourself, even then if they do not stop you, anything you continue to do is by no means entrapment.

entrapment: To lure into performing a previously or otherwise uncontemplated illegal act.

Its not like he lured you into doing more things by not acting right away..

Advice.. pay the fine..

-------------
im aware my spelling and grammer is not 100% correct but I try to get my point across ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">