• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce by Publication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tinabeal

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am wondering....My husband and I have been seperated since May 11, 2003. I have tried to locate him approx. 7 times within this peroid(5/11/03 - 7/12/03) I am wondering, to file a divorce by publication, how long to I have to run the publication? Will the judge order this? What is the time by law to run the publication?

Also, he hasn't paid support for the children since 10/2003. We only had a verbal agreement on this. That will not hold up in court, will it?

Thank You

JETX

tinabeal said:
I am wondering....My husband and I have been seperated since May 11, 2003. I have tried to locate him approx. 7 times within this peroid(5/11/03 - 7/12/03) I am wondering, to file a divorce by publication, how long to I have to run the publication?
From the GA Code [§9-11-4(e)(c)]:
"When the court orders service by publication, the clerk shall cause the publication to be made in the paper in which sheriff's advertisements are printed, four times within the ensuing 60 days, publications to be at least seven days apart. "

Will the judge order this?
If you do as you are supposed to, more than likely.

What is the time by law to run the publication?
See above.

Also, he hasn't paid support for the children since 10/2003. We only had a verbal agreement on this. That will not hold up in court, will it?
Nope. Unless you can PROVE the agreement, it likely will not stand.

Thank You
You're welcome.

Oh, and if you want to see some of the 'notices', go to: http://www.lagrangenews.com/legals/084.html

T

tinabeal

Also, when I file the Divorce Petition, can I file a Uniform Petition for Support at the same time, as one, or do they have to be seperate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">