• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trjrc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

Can I reprint and sell documents nationally like the Star Spangled Banner and the Declaration of Independence as long as I credit the author(s) at the end?
Thanks
trj

divgradcurl

Can I reprint and sell documents nationally like the Star Spangled Banner and the Declaration of Independence as long as I credit the author(s) at the end?
If the works are in the public domain -- which is basically anything published prior to 1923 -- then yes, you can publish and sell them. Crediting the author is really irrelevant, but should be done anyway.

The only caveat is that is someone else is selling a star spangled banner plaque or something, you can't copy the "design" of the plaque -- but you can use the words, those aren't protected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">