• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can She Really Get The Car After I've Had It For Years ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamadi

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have been divorced for 3 years. Before moving to NC, my ex-wife and I purchased a car ( I actually did ---she wasn't working). At the beginning of the divorce I had the car, then she decided she wanted it.....took out a restraining order (false) and at the same time asked the magistrate to award her the car. Well, she had it for two months. She told me she was making the payments ...later I find out she never made a payment. After the two months she brought the keys to me and told me she didnt' want it because her mom was giving her a car (no payments !!).

Three years later...........I trade in the car (still owing $3500 on it). I knew she was on the loan but had no idea that she was on the title. She is causing havoc now because she says that I took the car from her and it's been "missing " ever since !! She knew where the car was the whole time.

Ever since I received custody of the children she has done everything to get at me. My wife and I just purchased and home and she has called IRS asking how I was able to buy a home ?????

Anyway, she is harrassing the car dealership where I traded in the car. Now she has her lawyer faxing letters to the dealership. She believes that the car is hers and that she is going to either get the car ....or money. She thinks the car was paid off but it wasn't. In fact, the amount still owed was added to the new car loan.

I have statements showing that I have been paying on the car for the past 4 years. She moved to Buffalo NY two years ago . I believe she was waiting for me to pay off the car and then try to get it.

The dealership says she can either sign the power of attorney or purchase the car for $4500. She will not sign because she wants to get something out of it.

Is it possible for her to get the car ?? What can she get out of it ...if anything ?? I'm really confused !! What can happen ??

Tim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">