• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong blood type given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reynamartin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My husband broke his leg and had to have surgery done. They did not give him any blood during surgery, and a few days later found out that he was two bags low on blood. They did a blood test on him and the lab came back with A-. The Lab Tech wrote down A+ in his charts and the hospital then in turn gave him the wrong blood during his transplant. My husband noticed after the second bag had gone in and ordered another test to be done, which came back with A-. He had no initial reaction to the mixup. In emergency situations, patients are given + if we are low on - blood. The first time this happens it is not dangerous, but your body creates antibodies against the + blood. However, if he, for any reason receives the + blood again, by accident or in an emergency, his blood will attack it and will cause his liver functions to stop and will potentially kill him. He was given the only medicine known of, called Rhogam, to diffuse the antibodies out of his system to keep his body from attacking the + blood in the future. He had a severe allergic reaction causing him to have severe muscle spasms(keep in mind he had leg surgery two days prior), chills, severe back pains, and vomiting. The emotional and physical trauma that he went through was more than any person should have to endure, not to mention the fact that he has to permanently wear a medical id bracelet stating his blood condition to save his life in an emergency situation.
Furthermore, after the transfusion the doctors were surprised to hear that this was not my husbands 1st transfusion. Shouldn't that be researched before he is given a transfusion? i feel that we do have grounds for a lawsuit, but i am having trouble finding someone to represent us due to the fact that he is not phisically handicapped or dead. i guess his blood being screwed up for the rest of his life is not considered a physical impairment. please give advise in how to proceed further and if you feel we have grounds for medical malpractice or not. thanks,

ellencee

reynamartin
The expense of any treatment and prolonged hospital stay that is directly related to the administration of the incorrect blood-type should be paid by the hospital. I think it is justifiable for the hospital to compensate him an equal amount for pain and suffering and to pay for his first medical ID bracelet.

The event will not translate into a sufficient monetary award to pay for a medmal suit, much less provide your husband with any financial benefit.

You may be able to handle this by yourself, by writing a letter to the hospital's administrator asking to meet with the hospital's attorney to discuss an offer of compensation to your husband.

The error is not just the error of the lab tech. The labels used in verifying blood products are very detailed. Someone was responsible for verifying the type and crossmatch results to any generated report or label. Lab techs are considered healthcare professionals and can be held liable for negligent acts. The hospital is also responsible for this mistake.

If you don't exaggerate the actual damages, i.e., 'will HAVE to wear a medical alert bracelet for the rest of his life' as if that is some big tragedy, or try to collect now for a future act of malpractice or emergency when he gets a second unit of the wrong blood, you should come out OK with this--well, actually, your husband is the one who needs to take all the actions and is the one who will receive the benefits.

You should also inform your insurance carrier of the charges that are due to the hospital's error.

If the hospital won't settle with you, there is an attorney who will write the letter for your husband and gain settlement; you can find him or her. You may have to look outside the county in which the hospital is located (attorneys need a place to go when they are sick, too!).

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">