• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

calubin

What is the name of your state? Illinois/ Wisconsin

I recently received a speeding ticket in Wisconsin for going 80 in a 65, but I have an Illinois drivers license. First, I know I was not going that fast and asked to see the radar and the cop could not produce it. Is that evidence for dismissal? Is the cop required to prove it? Also, WI works on a point system and IL does not. How will this effect my driving record in IL? Does WI have any kind of system like IL and some other states do that you can go to driving school and get the ticket dismissed or get probation which will dismiss the ticket if you arent caught again in a certain amount of time? I have a clean record and just dont want my insurance to go up, any suggestions?

CdwJava

I can't really address the points issue, but no state I know of requires the officer to show you the radar reading. So not seeing it is NOT grounds for dismissal.

Carl

D_Lee

Greetings,

I was poking around on ths web and found this post--and I'm in almost the identical position as Calubin: I just got a speeding ticket in WI (70 MPH in a 55 zone) and am an Illinois licensed driver. Is it possibile to take a traffic safety course to reduce the insurance points? If so, would that class be taken in Wisconsin or Illinois? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Don

Curt581

calubin said:
I recently received a speeding ticket in Wisconsin for going 80 in a 65, but I have an Illinois drivers license. First, I know I was not going that fast and asked to see the radar and the cop could not produce it.
We are NOT required to show anyone a radar reading. The radar reading itself is not evidence. Our court testimony as to what we saw IS.
Is that evidence for dismissal?
Decidedly not.
Is the cop required to prove it?
Yes, if the case goes to trial. The 'proof' is the officer's testimony.
Also, WI works on a point system and IL does not. How will this effect my driving record in IL?
Illinois does have consequences for receiving a moving violation in another state.

Many Wisconsin jurisdictions will offer to amend the violation to "defective speedometer"... an equipment violation, rather than 'moving'. Illinois doesn't count those against you. I don't think they even record them.
Does WI have any kind of system like IL and some other states do that you can go to driving school and get the ticket dismissed or get probation which will dismiss the ticket if you arent caught again in a certain amount of time?
No... at least, not in the sense that you're looking for. Wisconsin does have something called "point reduction" school, but it wouldn't help you. It's designed for repeat offenders who are in danger of losing their license. It can only be taken once every five years.

Curt581

D_Lee said:
I just got a speeding ticket in WI (70 MPH in a 55 zone) and am an Illinois licensed driver. Is it possibile to take a traffic safety course to reduce the insurance points?
No. Wisconsin's "point reduction school" would not help you. It's not designed to reduce points to save insurance rates, it's to prevent someone from losing a license. Wisconsin doesn't have a mandatory insurance law, so the state doesn't really care how high your rates are.

I suggest attending the initial court appearance, and ask the prosecutor if they'd be willing to amend the citation to Defective Speedometer. It reduces the violation from four points to two. Since it's an equipment violation, it not affect an Illinois DL at all. You'd probably be required to pay the full fine amount, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">