• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Statutory Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aegis

What is the name of your state? (Occured in Oklahoma)

When I was 17, I had sex with a 21-year-old woman on several occasions... She became pregnant (later tests confirmed it was mine).

She signed up to welfare and the state sent me to court. The court ruled that I will pay a specified amount, which I do pay.

I'm 32 now, but here's the questions:

If statutory rape means that the 17-year-old wasn't old/wise enough to know better, how can you hold that same person accountable for the support?

Nothing was ever filed as far as statory rape charges... The proof that it occured, however, is the child's birth certificate. His birthdate, his mother's, and mine.

LdiJ

Aegis said:
What is the name of your state? (Occured in Oklahoma)

When I was 17, I had sex with a 21-year-old woman on several occasions... She became pregnant (later tests confirmed it was mine).

She signed up to welfare and the state sent me to court. The court ruled that I will pay a specified amount, which I do pay.

I'm 32 now, but here's the questions:

If statutory rape means that the 17-year-old wasn't old/wise enough to know better, how can you hold that same person accountable for the support?

Nothing was ever filed as far as statory rape charges... The proof that it occured, however, is the child's birth certificate. His birthdate, his mother's, and mine.
17 is the age of consent in many states, so its possible that it wouldn't have qualified as statutory rape. I suspect that the statute of limitations has run out in any case.

A

Aegis

I'm not sure what the age of consent was, but I'm pretty sure it was 18 (at least at that time).

I'm not so much interested in doing anything, just trying to get deeper as to what the laws imply... The nuts-and-bolts of it, so to speak.

Thank you for the response!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">