• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Rights??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nell

In the state of Massachusetts, what rights does a father have when it comes to divorce, child support, etc? Here's the scenario: A wife abandons her husband 9 years ago. However, throughout the years and currently, he pays(via verbal agreement) for anything the child needs (new winter coat every year, new shoes and sneakers for school, vacation money, summer clothes, clothes for private school, etc). He also pays approx $3,000/yr for private school tuition and has since the child started school (child is now 13). Now the wife has applied for child support which leaves the father very confused. What should the father do to protect himself.

Any advice or help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MySonsMom

For starters, I hope you have proof of everything you have paid her because if not you can be slapped with 13 yrs of back child support. In these situations, verbal agreements are not good at all, did you have ANYTHING in writing whatsoever? (geesh, I hope you do) For the child support, her income will be calculated with yours to determine the support. That is what you will have to end up paying from here on out..Now the past 13 yrs is a whole separate issue..

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">