• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will, Children not adopted - CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alaw

California

I married a woman who brought children into our marriage from a former husband. I have not adopted them. They still use their orignal last name.

My wife refuses to make a will.

Should she die, how will her estate be divided among me and her children and ex?

divgradcurl

Should she die, how will her estate be divided among me and her children and ex?
Well, the easy part is her ex -- unless she co-owns assets with her ex, or she has a will that says otherwise, he won't get anything.

As for you:

For any assets that are community property, you get it all.

For any assets that are her seperate property, it will depend on how many kids she brought into the marriage. If it is just 1 kid, then you get 1/2 of the seperate property and the kid gets the other half.

If it is more than one kid, you get 1/3, and the kids (however many of them there are) split the other 2/3's.

Any kids YOU brought into the marriage get nothing.

It can actually get a bit more complicated if you two were married and lived outside of California before coming here, but above is the general rule. See California Probate Code Section 6400 - 6414 for anything you ever wanted to know about intestate succession in California.

A

alaw

Well, what can I say except, "Thanks, muchly, divgradcurl!"

I'm elated to find that there is someone here who is knowledgeble and nice enough to be willing to take the time to answer my questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">