• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I get to protect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wrappers4U

What is the name of your state? VA
my designs?

I create personalized labels and not everything is the same it varies from one client to the next. I do not want clients to take my work elsewhere to have someone else copy or reproduce it.

Since it is not like a book or a typewriter they are individually done and I can do many in one day I would like to see what I can do?

Any suggestions?

divgradcurl

There's probably not a whole lot you can do to protect your designs. If they were all the same "look and feel" with just the text changing, then you could probably protect them as "trade dress" under trademark law.

However, if I understand what you are doing correctly, you are making fully customized labels that people can stick to other products, and each label will have it's own logos, colors, etc. -- is that correct? In that case, each individual design you make WILL be covered under copyright, but unless you want to take the time and money to register each and every design you do, there really isn't any way to effectively protect your rights -- unless you are lucky enough to have a lawyer in the family who will work for free!

You certainly cannot protect the "idea" alone.

I do not want clients to take my work elsewhere to have someone else copy or reproduce it.
Probably your best bet is to work with an attorney to draft a contract that stipulates liquidated damages if a client does take your design and reproduces it elsewhere. The protection will likely be more limited than it would be under copyright, but it will be a whole lot easier to enforce.

W

Wrappers4U

Thanks for your

response. I am currently thinking of getting something on my order forms that has verbage on it that the design is our property and any copy or distribution of it is strictly prohibited.

I would also make sure that is signed and returned prior to the completion of any final design.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">