• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Upset Spouse

This is a situation in Texas. My husband has been paying child support for two kids for several years. One of the two kids turned 18 3 yrs ago and the second turned 18 July 2000. The second child was in the 11th grade last school year (99-2000). He was scheduled to graduate this school year (2000-2001). We recently discovered he was showing as an inactive student at the high school he has always attended. We also learned he was not living with the mother. Therefore, my husband contacted the mother and over the phone she offered a verbal agreement that he may discontinue child support. The divorce decree implies support is required until last child turns 18 or graduates high school. No stiplulations in divorce papers about continued payment for college. Anyway, one week later the ex-wife called and informed my husband that the child was going to move back in and will be registered in school within the week. After all this, my question is.. Is my husband still obligated to pay child support? The child is going to be registered in a "special" school that works with drop outs. This child has moved in and out of his mothers house several times in the last year. It is a very unstable environment. We have offered to take custody and have him live with us but the child refused to sign over rights to assign his father as the primary custody holder. Thank you for your time.

LegalBeagle

You need to continue to pay until a court tells you it is ok to stop. I suggest you speak to a local attorney and show them the divorce decree cos you should not be paying for the 21 year old.. You may have grounds to stop payments for the younger child if it was shown that he left home and dropped out of school. The fact that he is back and looking to re-register may not wash with a judge if they believe the only reason the mother did this was because of the CS payments etc.. .

Go see a local attorney..

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">