• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer9182

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi,

I have a very basic question that I wasn't sure what forum it belongs in. I am going to need to be changing my address soon (due to a move) and that means updating the address with everything with my employer, banks, billed services, magazines, etc. The thing is, my address is used everywhere, so I don't really know where to begin! I want to update my address with everything including work and school, but know of other things that may need updating as well. I know that the post office's "change of address" service updates are forwarded to people, but what gets updated by that and what doesn't?

For instance, do I need to do anything specific regarding addresses given to the government organizations, such as the IRS? My employer said I might need to file a new W-4 with them as well with the new address information on it. What would probably help me is a list of all things (particularly government organizations) that would need it and how to go about the changes if they are necessary and aren't taken care of by the change of address. I am 18 and have never done this before. If my assumption is correct I have 3 categories:

1. School - This would be my college, which is easy enough, but do I need to update my high school?
2. Work & Money - I am going to try to update my info with my employer and banks, but do I need to re-submit any tax-related forms with any of them?
3. Government - Does the IRS get updated via the post office's form? What about driver's bureau stuff? Is Selective Service different? What else?

I am obviously not including my address registered with individual companies as a consumer (such as Internet providers, web hosts, etc.) because those are easy enough to remember and change. Also, since I am moving from one parent's house to another, I do not have to deal with any utilities.

What would be most helpful is a list of suggestions, which I cannot seem to find online. Lists and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not really a legal question. and quite frankly doesn't belong on a legal board at all. But having just moved a month ago, I know what you're going through. So for what it's worth...

1.) That's up to you. If you want to receive information from your high school (such as notices of alumnae meetings and so on), then notify them. If you wiped the dust of high school off your feet when you graduated and never want to hear from anyone there again, don't. The law is not going to force you to stay in touch with your high school if you don't want to.

2.) You do not need to change your address with the IRS or any other government agency for tax purposes. When you update your tax forms with your employer, that will take care of all of that.

3.) As I said, you do not need to send a change of address form to the IRS. You will have to change your address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. In my state you can do that either in person or on-line; you will NOT do it with the same change-of-address form you would use to change an address with your friends. In fact, when it comes to vendors, do it by phone, not change of address cards. Don't forget to call your auto insurance carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">