• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced...Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

astro5169

What is the name of your state? OKLA.
My question is 2 parts. My spouse received the community property in the divorce. My spouses attorney did not get a quick claim deed. I was informed today that the closing is Friday and I need to sign a quit claim deed. I informed them to send it to me and I would have my attorney look it over. It does not say anywhere in the divorce papers that I must sign a quit claim deed.

I was told by my ex-spouse that if I didnt sign today she would file contempt tomorrow. Is this possible or even a problem. I havent been presented with the papers of the quit claim deed.

Thanks for help...

nextwife

Depends upon the wording in the CO. Talk to your attorney. Hopefully your attorney also included a requirement that the other party refinance you off the mortgage at the same time as you provide a QC..

A

astro5169

Ok..

The house is suppose to be closed on this Friday. I just received the qc today. I cant meet with an attorney until next Wednesday. Do I have a right to not sign until I get legal counsel?

My ex - spouse was given the house in the divorce. But it does not say I will need to sign a qc or anything about removing my name from any of the loans..

My ex-spouses attorney called my place of business to try and make my boss make me do it. My boss said to me that he couldnt make me do anything. This was my personal life not business related...

Thanks for any help/. :mad:

nextwife

IF she was fully awarded the property in the divorce decree, you will need to ultimately QC to complete the transfer to her. Or take time off work to physically attend the closing and deed out your interest there. I've seen it handled both way. It can't be her's until you are off title. Why didn't either of you address this before now?

A

astro5169

I didnt know I needed or could quick claim it to her. I did repetitivly ask her to refinance or get my name off of it.

I wasnt told that a buyer was even available until last Tuesday. They have put the closing off now. I was told that if I didnt sign the qc by wednesday that both my ex and the buyer would sue me. I have never been asked about arriving at the closing to sign the documents there.

I think I would much rather be there when this happens since my name will still be on the mortgage until the sale takes place.

Thanks again for thoughts or comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">