• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AlanaH

Last October, my ex-husband signed the papers giving my husband the right to adopt our 2 children. He's had no contact w/them & not paid child support since May 99. We finally went to court today to make the adoption final. My ex did not show up. I called him to tell him it was done and he said he never got notice that the court date was today.

Wouldn't the papers have been certified so we would've known if he didn't get them? Would the hearing have gone on if he hadn't been served papers? I'm afraid that if he wasn't notified he'll try to have it reversed because when I called cs to tell them it was final they said the judge will now order him to pay the $4000 back cs he owes.

A

AlanaH

When we started this whole thing, the attorney told us that the court would notify him 30 days before the hearing date.

This is in Ohio.

[This message has been edited by AlanaH (edited September 19, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">