• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the Bar Exam State Specific???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have general legal question and I don't know where to post it!

I was wondering if the Bar exam that lawyers take is "state" specific? Does a lawyer to be have to pass the Bar in the state that they are going to practice in or does passing the bar mean they can practice anywhere?

BelizeBreeze

That's why it's called the "STATE" bar. For each state an attorney wishes to practice, they must pass that state's bar exam.

You Are Guilty

BelizeBreeze said:
That's why it's called the "STATE" bar. For each state an attorney wishes to practice, they must pass that state's bar exam.

Never waived in anywhere, eh?

The Bar is actually two parts - the state specific part and the "multistate". As you can surmise, the multistate is good nationally, and a high score lets you practice in some states (generally the ones no one likes, like Iowa) without having to take that state's specific test. Other states permit you to "waive" in after practicing X number of years (usually five). Some require you to take both portions of the Bar to practice there - NY, NJ, CA, FL I believe all fall into this category.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">