• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mokushi Kaze

First, I am new, but I really don't know where to put this question, so since I'm a minor, I figured it would go here.

I live in California, and I signed a contract that my parents made for me when I was 8 (14 now), all for a game console. The terms were that I would get the console if I gave them a set percentage of money I received. Is there a way to break the contract? Is it even legally binding?

If anyone could send me the URL for a federal site with what I am looking for, that would be great.

CdwJava

You want to break a contract to your parents? You DO realize that if you do that, they can not only take that game, but everything else in the world that you possess? They can leave you with a mattress, a sheet, and a pair of clothes - and give you toast and water for breakfast if they really wanted to. So I would think twice before trying to do an 'in your face' to mom and dad.

You made the deal, now stick to it!

While not legally binding in court (as if a court would ever HEAR such a thing ... a judge would likely tell mom and dad to just enforce it anyway), it IS a measure of responsibility and a good tool to help you develop the skills necessary to live in society.

Carl

M

Mokushi Kaze

**** you, *******. I was ****ing eight when i signed it. I was incompitent to sign it then, as I didn not even understand what i was doing, dillhole.

A

adonahee

OK, punk............!

Now it's clear why your parents had you sign a contract. Obviuosly, you are an irresponsible, foul-mouth little punk. So, please, do us all a favor and BREAK IT. When they take away all your worldly possessions, and refuse to give in to your temper tantrums....it'll do you a world of good. And the rest of us will just cheer them on.

CdwJava

Mokushi Kaze said:
**** you, *******. I was ****ing eight when i signed it. I was incompitent to sign it then, as I didn not even understand what i was doing, dillhole.
My my ... such language ... and what an example of maturity.

Well, your childish tirade aside, your parents still have complete and total control of everything you own. You are not going to get any solace from anyone here telling you it's okay NOT to honor an obligation.

If they did it to screw you out of a trust fund, then you have some legal leverage because it's not enforceable. If they did it to encourage you to learn the value of money, then it's a valid parental lesson.

Like I said, it won't hold up in court as a matter of law. But they could just as easily take anything and everything from you if they want to - that's legal.

Like it or not, THEY have more rights in this matter than you do.

Carl

ptlmejo

Mokushi Kaze said:
The terms were that I would get the console if I gave them a set percentage of money I received.
By the way, did you know as a minor, any and all earnings (monetarily speaking) that you may make in the course of employment or elsewhere, actually and LEGALLY belong to your parents?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">